Friday, March 13, 2015

REFLECTION ON IMPORTANCE OF LESSON PLANNING & PREPARATION





The importance of having a lesson plan cannot ever be overstated. Having a lesson plan is the map to achieving the objectives of a lesson. As Gini Cunningham in her book ASCD -New Teacher's Companion says   “Every day is special, every day students need to learn, and every day you must have a plan.” (Cunnigham)
                 I always felt I have this excellent opportunity of supporting students through inclusion, which gives me an opportunity to observe a variety of teachers and their teaching strategies. I have been able to see which strategies and lessons were successful and those that were not. Hence when I chose the teachers for further observation I picked the best that had lesson plans that made a difference in student learning. It was also observed those teachers who did not have lesson plans followed a text book coverage method or worksheets.” Although years of experience can shore up less-than-complete planning, nothing compares to well-planned lessons. Comprehensive plans increase the likelihood that lessons run smoothly, so that students receive quality instruction.” (Cunnigham)

Hence in setting off to do my plans I wanted each class to be an inspirational and motivational experience for the students. Considering the challenges they face in many of the regular subject classes, I wanted to treat each student uniquely for their abilities and make them feel they were gifted. Personally I’m a very detail oriented person, who wants everything planned ahead as much as possible. Thus creating the lesson plans required some extra work. However I must say at one point I enjoyed it so much as great ideas were coming in and I had to restrain myself from trying to do too much!

Although many of the lesson plans I observed did not have any written format for differentiation, the teachers at times differentiated lessons based on learning styles. This enabled all students being able to receive something in that lesson. However when differentiating it’s important consider the product, the technology, the process and student interests wherever possible to encourage maximum learning.

The unit plan being the bigger map of the lesson plans brings all the learning in class to perspective. As it consists of concepts and learning goals over a period of time it can stretch to over two weeks. My lessons I believe will be done over a course of two weeks with the summative assessment. The inclusion of skills and desired outcomes keeps the teaching and learning focused. The school unit planner is in the Atlas Rubicon system where any teacher can access the contents of another teacher’s plan. This enables the school to work cooperatively and design cross curricular units that bring wholesome learning to all students in every subject.

                Overall the most valuable section in lesson planning I believe is the reflection. I noticed that on the Atlas System there is a section for reflection of the unit. The teachers have reflected and thought what additional things would assist to make the unit better. I would add that to every lesson to see how the technology used assisted the lesson, whether materials used were appropriate or changes noted for further fine tuning for the future. “Great lessons and well-planned units increase knowledge and leave imprints of competence and understanding.” (Cunnigham)
 
Works Cited
Cunnigham, G. (n.d.). Lesson Plans and Unit Plans the basis for Instruction. In G. Cunningham, ASCD -New Teacher's Companion. Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development.



No comments:

Post a Comment